Keto Dutch Baby Recipe
Read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for something a bit different in the way of breakfast options? Are you getting tired of the “bacon and eggs” routine often the staple with a keto or low-carb lifestyle? This Keto Dutch Baby recipe is a welcome diversion in the boredom that often comes with Keto breakfast options.
German Baked Pancakes
This recipe is for a traditional Dutch baby, or German baked pancake made keto and low carb friendly. Traditionally it would be served with citrus or other fruit toppings. You can choose whatever you prefer. Just remember that the nutritional information provided here does not include any chosen toppings.
With the right equipment and instructions, they are easy to make. The first item that I consider critical for best results is a well seasoned cast-iron skillet, about 10 inches in diameter. If this is an item you do not currently have, it is well worth investing in, even if you only use it for this recipe. The final results are very dependent on using a cast-iron skillet, and they are available for around $20 or less.
How to Season a Cast-Iron Skillet
There are several options for seasoning and caring for your cast-iron skillet. Here are some of the basics:
- Pans that come pre-seasoned still need seasoning to work effectively.
- You will find several opinions on which type of oil to use. I have had the best results with flaxseed or grapeseed oil.
- You will find several different opinions about which oil to use and which method of heating.
So what has worked for me?
My preferred method is to buff a thin layer of oil into the pan’s surface and heat it for about an hour at 450°. After an hour, I turn the oven off and just let the pan cool in the oven. I do this about 4 – 5 times before I use the pan for cooking, adding a very thin coat of oil each time.
When making the Keto Dutch baby recipe, you will note that it calls for a significant amount of butter to be melted in the pan before adding it, which helps keep the batter from sticking.
After each use, I wash and dry the skillet. Use a plastic scraper rather than abrasive cleaning methods if the food does stick to it. It is essential not to leave food in the cast iron and to dry it immediately after washing. DO NOT put it in the dishwasher.
After the skillet has been washed and dried, repeat the above method of oiling and heating. I continue to do this until the pan develops a smooth surface that easily releases the food.
Caution: Do not do the following:
- subject your cast iron to sudden temperature changes
- drop it
- run through the dishwasher
- leave food in it
- let it soak in water
The other piece of equipment that I consider essential for good results is a blender. The ingredients in the Keto Dutch baby need to have air whipped in to rise correctly. You can use a mixer, but the blender is quicker and does a better job. If you use a mixer, mix for about 2 minutes.
Making Your Keto Dutch Baby Baked Pancake
Begin by placing your skillet in the oven. Turn the oven on to 425° to preheat. The skillet will preheat along with the oven. This way, you will have a very hot pan to place your butter and batter in.
Measure all of your dry ingredients into a small bowl and mix all of them.
Add your eggs to the blender container. Blend for at least 30 seconds. They will turn a uniform light yellow. Now add your heavy whipping cream, water, vanilla, and flavorings. Blend for at least 30 second
Add the dry ingredients to the blender. Blend again for a few seconds or until add dry ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the blender container if needed.
Baking Your Dutch Baby
Place the butter in the hot skillet. Allow it to melt until it just begins to lightly brown. Do not let it burn.
When the butter has melted, pull your oven rack out just far enough to reach the skillet without removing it from the oven. Pour the batter into the center of the skillet. The butter will rise along the sides and spill over onto the top of the mixture.
Push the oven rack back into place without disturbing the batter. Close the oven and bake at 425° for about 15 minutes. Leave the oven door closed while the pancake is baking.
We enjoy this low-carb version of baked pancakes with a topping of berries, whipped cream, and Lakanto maple syrup. Choose any topping that fits in your meal plan. Just remember that the nutritional information provided here is only for Dutch Baby, not the topping you may add.
Keto Dutch Baby
- 10 inch well seasoned cast iron skilled
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ½ tsp real vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond or orange flavor
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons unflavored protein powder
- ¾ teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon Lakanto confectioners monkfruit sweetener
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Place cast iron skilled in oven and set oven to preheat to 425°.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a small bowl and mix together. Set aside.
- Add eggs to blender and blend for at least 30 seconds. This will incorporate air into the finished batter.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, water, vanilla extract, and almond or orange flavoring to the blender. Blend again for at least 30 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the blender. Blend until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the blender container if needed.
- Place the butter in the hot skillet and place skillet back in the hot oven. Watch closely. The butter should just begin to turn brown, but should not burn.
- When butter has melted and just begun to turn brown, pull the oven rack out just enough to be able to pour the batter into the skillet. Make sure the butter is coating the bottom of the skillet evenly.
- Pour the batter in the middle of the hot skillet. The butter should rise up the sides and spill over on the top of the batter. Do not stir. Try to disturb the batter as little as possible.
- Gently push the oven rack back into place and close the door.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door while the Dutch Baby is cooking. It will puff up and then fall as it cooks.
- Remove from the oven. Transfer the pancake to a cutting board and cut for serving.
- Serve topped with your choice of fruit, whipping cream or low carb syrup. Toppings are not included in nutritional information.
Nutrition label is calculated by automated third-party services. The nutritional information provided here is an estimate only, for informational purposes only, and can vary depending on the specific ingredients, preparation and accuracy of the third-party system used for calculations. It is always best practice to confirm the nutritional calculations, especially if nutritional information is critical to your diet plan.