If you are thinking that your keto or low carb diet is going to leave you feeling deprived, you need to try our Low Carb Caramel Cheesecake Mousse recipe.
This recipe will give you a decadent dessert option that is both keto and low carb compliant friendly. This simple yet decadent dessert is sweet, salty, and tangy all at the same time. The texture feels nothing like you would think you should be eating on a “diet.”It has a bit more dense texture, is lighter and airier than cheesecake, has the creaminess of both. It is great if you have been missing ice cream too. It is so rich and satisfying that I often eat only half of a serving.
1st step: Cooking the Caramel Sauce
Cooking the caramel sauce is quite easy. You do need to be patient and keep a close eye on it while cooking. If you are unfamiliar with cooking caramel sauce, either with conventional sugar or sugar substitutes, use the below photos for a reference of the changes you will see.
Measure all of your sauce ingredients and have them nearby, so they can be quickly added to the mixture when ready. There will not be time between steps to stop and measure ingredients.
Melt the butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Do not use too small of a pan as the caramel mixture will need room to expand later in the cooking process.
Stir in your Allumonk sweetener.
NOTE: If not using Allumonk, you can substitute Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener or Swerve sweetener in an equal amount. I do prefer the Allumonk as it does not tend to crystalize as quickly as some of the other sweeteners do, and it browns better.
Continue cooking over low heat until the mixture begins to turn a light brown and is smooth in texture. This step should take about 7 minutes. Go by the look, not the time. Be careful not to overcook.
Remove from the heat once the mixture begins to turn brown. Quickly stir in the heavy cream and salt, being careful. Adding the cold cream to the hot mix will cause it to expand and bubble up.
As soon as the bubbling settles, return the pan to the low heat. Continue cooking over low heat until the mixture thickens and reaches the desired consistency. This stage will take about 10 – 12 minutes. As it begins to thicken, it will become smoother and denser. Be aware that the mixture will thicken quite a bit when it cools. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Making the Low Carb Caramel Cheesecake Mousse
After you have prepared your caramel sauce, set it aside to cool until it reaches about 100 degrees. You want it to still be pourable, cool enough to blend well with your cream cheese and whipping cream, and not so thick that it is difficult to blend in.
Whip the remaining heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of sweetener with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
In a separate larger bowl, beat softened cream cheese with electric mixer until it is smooth and resembles whipped cream.
Add 1/2 cup of the cooled caramel sauce to the cream cheese. Mix to blend well.
Gently add the whipped cream to the caramel sauce and cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Serve with additional caramel sauce drizzled over the top.
Low Carb Caramel Cheesecake Mousse
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup Allumonk sweetener Swerve or Monkfruit/Erythritol blend can be substituted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Allumonk sweetener Powdered Swerve or Powdered Monkfruit/Erythritol blend can be substituted
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup prepared Caramel Sauce reserve remaining sauce for topping
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Do not use too small of a pan as this recipe will expand while cooking
- Add ⅓ cup Allumonk sweetener.
- Stir and cook over low heat until the mixture blends and starts to turn a light brown. This will take about 5 – 7 minutes. Do not rush it. It can burn quickly if you heat it too fast or at too high of a temperature.
- Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and the salt and stir. This will bubble up at the beginning.
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and turns to a caramel color. This step will take about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a glass container. Refrigerate until it cools.
- Whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with the 2 tablespoons of sweetener until it forms stiff peaks.
- In a larger, separate bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth and resembles whipped cream.
- Add the ½ cup of Caramel Sauce to the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese/caramel mixture and mix well.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with the remaining Caramel Sauce drizzled over the Caramel Cheesecake Mousse.
Nutrition label is calculated by automated third-party services. The nutritional information provided here is an estimate only, for informational purposes only, and can vary depending on the specific ingredients, preparation and accuracy of the third-party system used for calculations. It is always best practice to confirm the nutritional calculations, especially if nutritional information is critical to your diet plan.