Are there days when you find it challenging to stick to your low-carb or keto diet? Are you missing some of your familiar comfort foods? This cauliflower mac and cheese recipe will surely fill that void for you.
One of the most challenging things about keto and low-carb is finding new foods that fit into our plans and yet keep us under our carb limits. It’s not always just about finding substitutes for our familiar foods but instead learning to appreciate new foods.
This recipe, however, is one that can take the place of a high carb comfort food. So on those days when you’re craving something familiar, try this recipe.
This dish uses cauliflower as the base instead of pasta and has a creamy and flavorful cheese sauce made with cream cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, heavy whipping cream, and sour cream.
Making Your Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
To make this hardy mac and cheese replacement, start with a full head of cauliflower cut into small bite-size pieces. Use the photos here for size reference. I do not recommend substituting frozen cauliflower as it will not have the same texture. Part of the magic of this recipe is to keep a bit of firmness in the cauliflower rather than letting it turn to mush, and this requires using fresh cauliflower.
Start by placing the cauliflower in a large saucepan with about 1/2 cup of water. Cook over low to medium heat until the cauliflower begins to turn transparent. Do not overcook. You want to maintain a bit of firmness in the cauliflower.
While the cauliflower is cooking, melt the butter in a large frying pan or wok.
When cauliflower is ready, drain it. Then transfer it to the frying pan or wok and sauté it a bit in the butter, just enough to coat it and dry it out a bit.
Set the cauliflower aside while you prepare the cheese sauce.
Preparing the Cheese Sauce
With your cream cheese at room temperature, mix it with the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Use an electric mixer or immersion blender for best results. After blended, stir the Parmesan cheese in, mixing well.
Finishing Your Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Pour cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Add 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese and mix in. Transfer to a greased baking dish or casserole dish.
Add the remaining 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese to the top.
Bake your cauliflower mac and cheese in a preheated 350°F oven for about 30 minutes.
Let sit for about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound fresh cauliflower approximately 1 head
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese fresh, grated
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese shredded, split
- Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces. See photos for example.
- Place cauliflower in a large sucepan with ½ cup water.
- Cook over low to medium just until cauliflower begins to turn translucent.
- Melt butter in wok or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Drain cauliflower.
- Add cauliflower to pan with butter. Saute for a few minutes, until the cauliflower is coated in the butter and is beginning to dry.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream and heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer or immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir parmesan cheese into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour cheese mixture over cauliflower.
- Add 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix all together thoroughly.
- Place in greased casserole dish.
- Top with 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or until top is slightly browned.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition label is calculated by automated third-party services. The nutritional information provided here is an estimate only, for informational purposes only, and can vary depending on the specific ingredients, preparation and accuracy of the third-party system used for calculations. It is always best practice to confirm the nutritional calculations, especially if nutritional information is critical to your diet plan.