This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I receive a commission. Thanks!
Read my full disclosure policy. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you been introduced to the Dash Mini Waffle Irons and the ever-expanding world of chaffle recipes? If not, you are in for a real treat with this chaffle pizza recipe. If you thought the pizza was off your keto or low carb plan, think again.
What exactly is a chaffle? In the most simple terms, “Chaffle” is a combination of the “CH” from “Cheese” and the “affle” from “waffle.” If following a low-carb or keto diet, it is an excellent addition to your food choices. They are quick and easy to make.
The original version is simply egg and mozzarella cheese mixed into a batter and cooked in a mini waffle iron. They were intended to be a low carb substitute for waffles. Chaffles make a great low carb stand-in when you want something that can take the place of a traditional waffle.
Since that simple beginning, the concept and variety of recipes have exploded. You can now find:
- Traditional waffle chaffle
- Sweet chaffle
- Dessert chaffle
- Savory chaffle
- Pumpkin chaffle
- Cinnamon roll chaffle
- Chocolate chaffle
- Chaffle buns
- Sandwich bread chaffles
- Wonder bread chaffle
- Pizza crust chaffle
- And more
Dash Mini Waffle Iron
The mini waffle iron is an essential appliance for these recipes. Fortunately, they are quite inexpensive. You will frequently find them on sale for under $15 at several department stores as well as online. The mini waffle iron makes a 4 inch round, which is a perfect size for making just a serving or two. It also makes an ideal size to adapt recipes to mini pizzas, buns, sandwich bread, and waffles. And it is the perfect size for popping into the toaster. In addition to the mini waffle iron, Dash also has a Mini Grill and Mini Griddle in the same size and configuration as the waffle iron.
In this recipe, I have chosen to use the mini grill to make the base crust. The Chaffle Pizza crust recipe will also work fine with the waffle iron. I prefer the grill pattern for a flatter texture.
About This Chaffle Pizza Recipe
Unlike many pizza recipes that are designed to achieve a crispy, cracker-thin crust, this one is designed to have a more bread-like crust, reminiscent of flavors and textures of deep-dish style pizzas.
While chaffle recipes are perfect for small quantities, this one is for eight servings. Chaffles can be refrigerated or frozen until ready to use. They also make an excellent option for letting individuals each make their own. Just prepare an assortment of toppings and let everyone assemble their own.
If you want to make a smaller quantity, the crust ingredients will divide evenly by 2 or 4. There would be additional pizza sauce leftover, which can be frozen for later use.
How to Make the Chaffle Pizza Crust
- Preheat the mini chaffle iron
- Mix all of the wet ingredients well. I use a spin whisk or immersion blender.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour about two tablespoons of batter into the mini grill or waffle iron.
- Close and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Open, flip chaffle over.
- Close lid.
- Cook for an additional minute.
- Remove and repeat.
Assembling the Chaffle Pizzas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pizza sauce by mixing all ingredients.
- Place chaffle crusts on a greased baking sheet.
- Add a generous tablespoon of sauce to each crust.
- Top each with 1 ounce of mozzarella cheese.
- Add toppings of your choice.
Some of our favorite toppings
- Fresh Basil
Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown around the edges.
Crust – wet ingredients
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado mayonnaise
Crust – dry ingredients
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Allumonk sweetener or other granulated sweetener of your choice
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder *SEE NOTE
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ounce mozzerella cheese *SEE NOTES
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Mix all wet ingredients well in a small bowl or large glass measuring cup
- Blend all dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredents to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Let rest for 5 minutes
- Place about 2 tablespoons of batter in the preheated mini grill
- Cook for about 4 minutes
- Open grill and flip chaffle over
- Close grill and cook for about 1 more minute
Assembly and Baking
- Top each crust with a generous tablespoon of the pizza sauce
- Add the mozzerella cheese
- Add other pizza toppings of your choice
- Bake on a greased sheet pan for about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starting to turn brown on the edges.
Nutrition label is calculated by automated third-party services. The nutritional information provided here is an estimate only, for informational purposes only, and can vary depending on the specific ingredients, preparation and accuracy of the third-party system used for calculations. It is always best practice to confirm the nutritional calculations, especially if nutritional information is critical to your diet plan.